Frances JanischKitchenDaily and Gail Simmons show you how to use foods you already have in your pantry to make easy, delicious recipes.
In this episode of the Pantry Project, Gail shows viewers how quinoa -- a highly nutritious whole grain -- can be used in savory recipes like Quinoa Pilaf; Quinoa Stuffed Grilled Flank Steak; and Quinoa Cakes with Mushrooms, Bacon, and Sunnyside Fried Eggs.
Quinoa is a whole grain that's packed with protein and fiber. It comes in a variety of colors including red, yellow and black. Once cooked, it can be used in a variety of ways. In this video, she demonstrates how to make the one of her favorite breakfasts: Quinoa Cakes with Mushrooms, Bacon, and Sunnyside Fried Eggs. She begins by quartering button mushrooms and sautéeing them, then moves on to making the cakes. She adds cooked quinoa, flour, garlic, Parmesan and lightly beaten eggs to a bowl, then stirs everything together until it forms a dough-like consistency. She molds the cakes using a measuring cup, then pan fries them in canola oil. Once the cakes are done, she fries two eggs in the same pan. Once they are finished, she plates the eggs atop the cakes and serves the dish with crispy bacon and fresh chives.
Get Gail's Quinoa Recipes:
- Quinoa Pilaf
- Quinoa Stuffed Grilled Flank Steak
- Quinoa Cakes with Mushrooms, Bacon, and Sunnyside Fried Eggs.
More on Cooking with Whole Grains:
- Shane Kelly's Meatloaf with Quinoa gives the homey classic a healthy twist.
- Get the whole truth about whole grains.
- Learn the best way to cook quinoa over at Slashfood.
- Incorporate quinoa into breakfast for a better start to the day.
- This quinoa and basmati pilaf was prepared in the microwave!