The Best Hummus: Our Taste Test Results
Joseph Erdos, KitchenDaily
There's never been such inner-office excitement as the day KitchenDaily's editors decided to conduct a hummus taste test. We're big fans of the creamy, savory dip, and we couldn't wait to find out which brand is the best of the bunch.
Hummus, which is the Arabic word for chickpea, is described as being a ubiquitous paste of chickpea and tahini (sesame paste) with garlic and lemon. It's made by a seemingly endless number of brands across the country, but we got our hands on the classics that were most widely available to us.
Our test was conducted completely independent of the brands (we promise, we're not sneaking in advertisements!). We did a blind taste test, sticking to original flavors only. Each hummus was given an overall score between 0 and 5, and then given an average approval rating between 0 and 100 percent. Find out which brand won the challenge!
Hummus Taste Test
- Trader Joe's -- 14th place (41%)
- Cedar's -- 13th place (45%)
- Snack -- 12th place (50%)
- Sabra -- 11th place (53%)
- Tribe -- Tied for 9th place (54%)
- Fountain of Health -- Tied for 9th place (54%)
- Trader Joe's -- Tied for 7th place (56%)
- Bobbi's -- Tied for 7th place (56%)
- Good Neighbors -- Tied for 4th place (60%)
- Athenos -- Tied for 4th place (60%)
- Trader Joe's -- Tied for 4th place (60%)
- Cedar's -- 3rd place (61%)
- Whole Foods -- 2nd place (63%)
- Abraham's -- 1st place (74%)