The Best Ketchup: Our Surprising Taste Test Results
This Labor Day weekend marks the end of grilling season, so it's time to fire up some burgers and slather them with your favorite toppings -- including ketchup! The sweet and tangy condiment is the third-best selling condiment in America, so the KitchenDaily editors set out to find the best-tasting brand.
Seventeen different ketchups were put to a blind taste test, using French fries as a vehicle for the tasting. The brands were flavored with various sweeteners, ranging from corn syrup to sugar to agave nectar and even Splenda (which turned out to be a major failure). Some were amazing ("This is the standard by which all ketchups should be measured") and others were a disaster ("I'm not even sure WHAT this is").
We were shocked to find the winner wasn't the classic Heinz recipe (though, Heinz did place second, third and fourth, proving it's a brand to be reckoned with). Check out the slideshow below to discover how the ketchups ranked. How did your favorite perform?
As always, this taste test was in no way sponsored or influenced by the brands included.
Ketchup Taste Test
- #1: America's Choice Tomato Ketchup
- #2: Heinz Organic Tomato Ketchup
- #3: Heinz Simply Heinz Tomato Ketchup (with sugar, not corn syrup)
- #4: Heinz Tomato Ketchup
- #5: Green Way Organic Ketchup
- #6: Hunt's Ketchup
- #7: 365 Everyday Value Organic Tomato Ketchup
- Tied for #8: Heinz No Salt Added Tomato Ketchup (with <a href="http://www.alsosalt.com/" target="_blank">AlsoSalt</a>)
- Tied for #8: Heinz Reduced Sugar Tomato Ketchup (with sucralose)
- #10: 365 Everyday Value Tomato Ketchup
- #11: Organicville Organic Ketchup (with agave)
- #12: Annie's Naturals Organic Ketchup
- #13: Muir Glen Organic Tomato Ketchup
- #14: Sir Kensington's Gourmet Scooping Ketchup
- #15: Trader Joe's Organic Ketchup
- #16: Food Emporium Trading Company Organic Ketchup with Agave
- #17: Walden Farms Calorie Free Tomato Ketchup (with Splenda)