If you keep just one recipe on hand for apple pie, make this it. This pie is everything you want in the American classic. A hint of vanilla and a touch of lemon juice gives the towering mound of tart and sweet apples extra flavor.
FOR A TRADITIONAL DOUBLE-CRUST PIE: Preheat oven to 375F. Roll out 1 pastry circle on a lightly floured surface with a floured rolling pin into a 14-inch round and transfer to a piece of parchment. Keep chilled, covered, in the fridge. Fit remaining circle of dough into 9-inch pie plate; trim edge, leaving a 1/2-inch overhang. Lightly prick bottom all over with a fork and chill until firm, about 20 minutes or freeze 10 minutes.
Toss together apples, sugar, flour, vanilla, lemon juice, and cinnamon in a bowl. Spoon filling into pie shell and top with remaining chilled dough. Fold overhang of top dough under edge of bottom dough and lightly press against rim of pie plate, then crimp decoratively. Brush top edges of dough with egg wash and sprinkle with coarse sugar. Cut three small vents in crust. Bake in middle of oven for 40 to 50 minutes, until crust is golden brown and apples are tender. (If pie crust is browning too much cover with pie crust protectors or aluminum foil) Transfer to a rack to cool. Cut pie into slices and serve slightly warm or cool.
FOR THE PICTURED RUSTIC APPLE PIE: You will need 1 pie crust (save the other crust for another use). Reduce amount of apples to 2 pounds.
Preheat oven to 375F. Lightly spray a 9-inch glass pie plate with baking spray or line a shallow baking pan with parchment paper. Roll out pastry on a lightly floured surface with a floured rolling pin into a 13-inch round and transfer to pie plate or sheet pan. Leaving edges of dough overhanging pie plate; chill dough in plate or pan at least 10 minutes or until firm.
Toss together apples, sugar, flour, vanilla, lemon juice, cinnamon and nutmeg in a bowl. Spoon filling into middle of dough mounding them and overlap sides up and over filling leaving middle exposed, pleating dough as necessary to form about a 9-inch round. Brush top edges of dough with egg and sprinkle all with coarse sugar.
Bake in middle of oven, for 40 to 50 minutes, until crust is golden brown and apples are tender. (If pie crust is browning too much cover with pie crust covers or aluminum foil) Transfer pie on pan to a rack to cool. Cut pie into slices and serve slightly warm or cool.
- Almaz’s Ethiopian Doro Wat (Chicken Curry) inspired by Cutting for Stone
- Cilantro Spice Yogurt Dip with Pita Strips and Vegetables
- Meringue Nests with Roasted Rhubarb and Strawberry Sauce
Add a Comment
This Girl's Reaction To 'Engagement Season' Is Pretty Much Perfect
- Anne Hathaway In 'Sound Of Music Live'? Von Trapp Family Reveals Their Ideal Choice For Maria
Obama Faces Backlash Over New Corporate Powers In Secret Trade Deal
- Kate Middleton Fist Bumps Child In Adorably Unscripted Moment (VIDEO)
Selena Gomez Curses, Storms Off Stage At Jingle Ball 2013
- Ultimate Sandwich Smackdown: Po' Boys vs. Cheesesteaks FoxNews
- Jacques Pepin Loves Food More Than Stardom - FoxNews
- 13 Summer Drink, Dip and Dessert Recipes - Real Simple
- Get Your Pie On! 10 Recipes - YumSugar
Sites We Love
- 5 Thanksgiving Disasters You Can Fix: Here's How
- 7 New Ways to Use Kitchen Equipment You Already Have