Applesauce Spice Cake
This cake recipe, shared with KitchenDaily by Caroline Bates, was the first cake Bates made when she was a child -- years later, it was the first cake she taught her son to make. Read Bates's article about The First Cake.
Rub the bottom and sides of an 8-inch-square baking pan with additional butter or vegetable shortening. Cut waxed or parchment paper to fit, allowing a 2-inch overlap on all four sides.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Sift flour with baking soda, salt, cinnamon, mace and cloves.
Cream the butter in the bowl of an electric mixer set at medium speed. Add the sugar a little at a time, beating the mixture until it is fluffy.
Add the egg, beating it in thoroughly, and then the applesauce. With the mixer set at low speed, add the sifted dry ingredients in three parts alternately with the water. With the mixer off, scrape down the sides occasionally. Be careful not to overmix.
Stir in the currants (less work than raisins, which need to be chopped, and less likely to sink) and, if you like them, the walnuts.
Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake the cake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until a cake tester (we used a clean broom straw) inserted in the center comes out clean.
Transfer the pan to a wire rack to cool. Wait 30 minutes before placing a plate over the cake, turning it upside down, and carefully peeling off the paper. Now, using a serving plate, you can turn it right side up again.
The cake is ready to eat as is, with a shower of powdered sugar or with a thick coat of Quick Orange Icing: Beat together until smooth 2 cups sifted powdered sugar and 1/4 cup softened butter, stir in 2 tablespoons orange juice and 1 tablespoon grated orange peel. Spread mixture over the top and sides of the cake.
Note: Nutrition information does not include walnuts.
|Per Single Serving / Serves 8 Total|
|Calories||365||Calories from fat||72|
|Total Fat||8gm||12%||Saturated Fat||5gm||25%|
|Vitamin A||6%||Vitamin C||12%|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
** Nutrient information is not available.
- Crunchy Chocolate Almond Bites And Chocolate-Dipped Sweet Potato Chips
- Mezzelune dolci (Half-Moon-Shape Sweet Pasta Filled with Candied Fruit)
- Blueberry Oatmeal Streusel French Toast with Warm Maple Rum Sauce
Add a Comment
Jennifer Smith Changed How She Thought About Food And Lost 165 Pounds
Inside The Mind Of The Teenage Boy
Fired Founder: Men's Wearhouse 'Began Throwing Me Out Of My Office'
Hero Teen Aubrey Peters Remembered At Candlelight Vigil
Kelly Clarkson Responds To Cheating Rumors With Twitter Blast
- Ultimate Sandwich Smackdown: Po' Boys vs. Cheesesteaks FoxNews
- Jacques Pepin Loves Food More Than Stardom - FoxNews
- 13 Summer Drink, Dip and Dessert Recipes - Real Simple
- Get Your Pie On! 10 Recipes - YumSugar
Sites We Love
- Taming the Outdoors: How To Pick the Perfect Christmas Tree
- 15 Ideas For A Black And White Christmas