Baby Lima Beans
Dried beans are always best when soaked and cooked at home, but canned beans are an acceptable substitute if you're in a hurry.
Lima beans are best cooked over a long period on a low light so they don't shed their skins -- they're perfect for a slow cooker. If using a pressure cooker, use baby limas.
These beans are cooked until soft, then are combined with an intense mixture of garlic, browned onions and wine. Start tasting them, and add a squirt of Rooster sauce, a dash of cayenne or pimenton, as you see fit.
Soak beans overnight. Discard soaking liquid.
Cover beans with water, plus half an inch. Add a splash of olive oil, one onion, two cloves of garlic and bay leaf, bring to boil, reduce heat and cook over low heat until beans are soft, two to three hours, depending on size of bean. Skim off any foam. If necessary, add water to keep beans soupy.
When beans are cooked through, in a separate pan, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat. Sautee onions until lightly browned, about five minutes. Add garlic and sauté another two minutes, until garlic is soft and just golden.
Add onion and garlic mixture to lima beans. Season to taste with salt, pepper, and other seasonings (see note above).
Serve the lima beans with Bitter Greens next to each other in a wide shallow bowl.
- Pasta with Green Beans, Potatoes and Basil Pesto (Pasta Alla Ligure)
- String Bean Salad with Toasted Walnuts and Goat Cheese
- Haricots Verts with White Peach and White Almonds
Add a Comment
The Worst Product Flops Of All Time: 24/7 Wall Street
Miley Cyrus Performs In Underwear After Missing Costume Change
Joran van der Sloot Extradition: Will Face Extortion Charges In U.S. In 2038
Adam Lanza's Father: 'Evil' Sandy Hook Shooter Would Have Killed Me 'In A Heartbeat'
'MasterChef' Judge Graham Elliot Shows Off Impressive 150-Pound Weight Loss On Instagram
- Ultimate Sandwich Smackdown: Po' Boys vs. Cheesesteaks FoxNews
- Jacques Pepin Loves Food More Than Stardom - FoxNews
- 13 Summer Drink, Dip and Dessert Recipes - Real Simple
- Get Your Pie On! 10 Recipes - YumSugar
Sites We Love
- Nine Steps To Help You Declutter a Room
- Stylish Exaggeration: Jonathan Adler Reveals One Of His Muses