Provided By: Michelle Huneven
This is a festive and unusual dish that has converted several ardent beet-haters into beet-lovers. I like to use a mixture of mild Chiogga (striped), red, and/or yellow beets in this recipe. If you bought your beets with their tops, the greens can be sautéed (see greens recipe in this article) and served alongside, or used another time.
Vegetable Stock recipe
Heat olive oil over medium hot flame. Add onions and stir until onions soften, about one minute. Add beets and rice and stir to coat everything with the oil, about one minute. Deglaze pan with white wine.
If using pressure cooker, add 3 ½ cups of stock and thyme sprigs, lock pressure cooker lid, bring to high pressure and cook there for 7 minutes. Quick release and test for doneness. If rice and beets are still hard, add a little extra stock, reseal and cook at high pressure for another one to two minutes. If they are only slightly underdone, add a little more stock and stir until done.
If not using pressure cooker, begin adding stock one half cup at a time, stirring the rice and beet mixture constantly until stock is absorbed, then adding more stock until beets are tender and rice is al dente, about 30 to 40 minutes.
Serve with a sprinkling of parmigiano, a good dollop (one ounce or more) of soft goat cheese and a sprinkling of chopped hazelnuts.
Add a Comment
Baby's Death Leads Police To 14 Kids Hidden In Daycare Basement
Harlem Explosion Causes Collapse Of 2 Buildings, Multiple Deaths Reported
Target's Latest Photoshop Fail Looks Pretty Painful
The 1 Weirdest Thing You Never Knew About Your Home State
Missing Malaysia Airlines Flight May Be Visible On Chinese Satellite Images
- Ultimate Sandwich Smackdown: Po' Boys vs. Cheesesteaks FoxNews
- Jacques Pepin Loves Food More Than Stardom - FoxNews
- 13 Summer Drink, Dip and Dessert Recipes - Real Simple
- Get Your Pie On! 10 Recipes - YumSugar
Sites We Love
- Healthy Weekly Dinner Meal Plan: A Whole Week of Healthy Spring Dinners
- 7-Day Early Spring Healthy Dinner Plan
- Nine Steps To Help You Declutter a Room
- Stylish Exaggeration: Jonathan Adler Reveals One Of His Muses