Rich and gorgeous, this festive dish is a must-try for beet lovers. Balsamic vinegar lends just the right amount of tartness to the sweet, earthy, beet-rich rice.
1. Remove greens from beets; cut off and discard stems. Cut the greens crosswise into 1/2-inch strips; set aside. Scrub beets; place in a saucepan large enough to hold them in a single layer. Add broth and, if necessary, enough water to just cover them. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to a gentle boil and cook until the tip of a sharp knife can be easily inserted into the beets, 30 to 45 minutes.
2. Transfer the beets with a slotted spoon to a cutting board to cool. Measure the cooking liquid; either add water or reduce over high heat to get 6 cups total. Strain through a sieve lined with paper towels into a medium bowl. Slice off beet ends and slip off skins. (To avoid Lady Macbeth hands, wear rubber gloves or hold beets in a paper towel.) Cut the beets into 1/4-inch dice; transfer to a medium bowl and gently mix with 2 tablespoons vinegar. Set aside.
3. Heat oil and butter in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent, about 3 minutes. Add rice, increase heat to medium-high and cook, stirring constantly, until all the rice is opaque, about 1 minute. Add the remaining 3 tablespoons vinegar and 1 cup of the reserved beet-cooking liquid. Stir until almost all the liquid has been absorbed, adjusting the heat as necessary to maintain a simmer, about 4 minutes. Continue to add the beet broth, 1 cup at a time, stirring after each addition until all the liquid has been absorbed and adjusting the heat as necessary to maintain a simmer.
4. Add the reserved beet greens to the rice along with the final cup of broth. Cook, stirring, until the greens are wilted, about 2 minutes. Add the reserved beets and continue stirring until all the liquid has been absorbed, about 2 minutes more. Season with salt and pepper. Serve with Parmesan cheese, if desired.
|Per Single Serving / Serves 8 Total|
|Calories||180||Calories from fat||45|
|Total Fat||5gm||8%||Saturated Fat||2gm||10%|
|Mono Unsaturated Fat||3gm||Cholesterol||8mg||3%|
Nutrition Facts provided by: EatingWell
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
** Nutrient information is not available.
Add a Comment
The Most Embarrassing I-Want-You-Back Texts We've Ever Read
Is The Universe A Hologram? Physicists Say It's Possible
Ethan Couch Sentenced To Probation In Crash That Killed 4 After Defense Argued He Had 'Affluenza'
Jang Song Thaek, Kim Jong Un's Ousted Uncle, Reportedly Executed
Ellen DeGeneres Responds To Divorce Rumors As Only She Can
- Ultimate Sandwich Smackdown: Po' Boys vs. Cheesesteaks FoxNews
- Jacques Pepin Loves Food More Than Stardom - FoxNews
- 13 Summer Drink, Dip and Dessert Recipes - Real Simple
- Get Your Pie On! 10 Recipes - YumSugar
Sites We Love
- 5 Thanksgiving Disasters You Can Fix: Here's How
- 7 New Ways to Use Kitchen Equipment You Already Have
- Unusual Ways to Reuse Your Holiday Wrapping Paper
- Holiday Hosting Made Easy: Revelry House Tells Us Their Expert Entertaining Tips