Braised Breast of Veal with Carrots and Thyme
Provided By: Shelley Wiseman
Once you have tasted the rich tender meat from the veal breast you will wonder why it is such an inexpensive cut of meat. There are layers of fat and cartilage between the layers of meat, which make it less popular, but they are the reason it braises so well. White wine balances the richness of the meat while carrots and thyme compliment its subtle flavor.
Preheat oven to 350°F with rack in middle position.
Pat veal dry and season with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a wide shallow pot (with tight fitting lid) over medium heat until it shimmers. Brown veal on all sides, turning with tongs, about 8 minutes. Transfer veal to a plate and add shallots and butter to pot. Cook, stirring, until shallots are wilted, about 3 minutes. Add 1/2 cup wine and cook, stirring and scraping up brown bits, 1 minute.
Return veal to pot and scatter with thyme sprigs. Cover tightly and braise in oven 45 minutes. Pour another 1/4 cup wine around veal, baste meat with sauce, and continue to braise, covered, 45 minutes. Add 1/2 cup wine and baste meat with sauce. Scatter carrots around veal and continue to braise, covered, until veal and carrots are tender, 30 to 45 minutes more.
Transfer veal to a platter and surround with carrots. Cover to keep warm and let rest 10 to 15 minutes (it can rest in turned off oven with door ajar). Meanwhile, spoon off some of fat from sauce in pot, then add remaining 1/4 cup wine and boil, whisking, 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve with veal.
|Per Single Serving / Serves 4 Total|
|Calories||633||Calories from fat||243|
|Total Fat||27gm||42%||Saturated Fat||9gm||45%|
|Vitamin A||399%||Vitamin C||54%|
Nutrition Facts provided by: Shelley Wiseman
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
** Nutrient information is not available.
- Pastiera di maccheroni (Pasta Bake with Pancetta, Rosemary, and Ground Pork)
- Grilled Peppers, Eggplant & Zucchini with Lemon-Harissa Dressing
- Coffin Canapes with Red Pepper, Goat Cheese, and Black-Olive Spread
Add a Comment
Is The Universe A Hologram? Physicists Say It's Possible
Beyonce Shares Blue Ivy Photo, Still Manages To Keep Her From Prying Eyes
11-Year-Old Boy Stops Traffic To Rescue Dog Hit By Car (PHOTOS)
Andrew McCutchen Proposes To Girlfriend On 'The Ellen DeGeneres Show' (VIDEO)
If Only All Moms Could Breastfeed Like Gisele
- Ultimate Sandwich Smackdown: Po' Boys vs. Cheesesteaks FoxNews
- Jacques Pepin Loves Food More Than Stardom - FoxNews
- 13 Summer Drink, Dip and Dessert Recipes - Real Simple
- Get Your Pie On! 10 Recipes - YumSugar
Sites We Love
- 5 Thanksgiving Disasters You Can Fix: Here's How
- 7 New Ways to Use Kitchen Equipment You Already Have
- Unusual Ways to Reuse Your Holiday Wrapping Paper
- Holiday Hosting Made Easy: Revelry House Tells Us Their Expert Entertaining Tips