Brick Chicken With Apricot Couscous
Preheat oven to 400 F.
Prepare chicken by splitting it down the back and removing the backbone, breastbone and rib cage. Lay the chicken out flat and rub the blended spices all over. Marinate for up to 4 hours or overnight.
Heat a large cast iron skillet (or other heavy oven-proof pan) over medium-high heat. When hot, add a 2-count of extra virgin olive oil and place the chicken skin side down in the pan. Cover it with a second cast iron pan (you could also a more traditional aluminum foil-wrapped brick) immediately so the skin doesn't have time to contract. Reduce the heat to medium and cook for 10-15 minutes until chicken is golden brown and has a nice crust. Remove the top weight and turn the chicken over. Re-cover with the top weight and finish cooking in the oven for another 20-25 minutes. Internal temperature between the leg and thigh should reach 165 F when cooked through.
While chicken is cooking, combine cilantro, mint, green onion, yogurt, honey, lemon juice, extra-virgin olive oil, salt and pepper in a blender. Blend until mixture is fully combined and has a smooth consistency.
Now prepare the couscous. In a medium saucepan add a 2 count of extra-virgin olive oil. Add the red onion, almonds and apricot and saute gently over low heat until translucent and slightly fragrant. Add the couscous then dump in the warm chicken broth. Stir with a fork to combine. Add lemon zest and cover. Let sit for 10 minutes, then uncover and fluff with a fork again. Put the green onions, mint and cilantro on a cutting board and coarsely chop everything up; add this to the couscous. Add lemon juice, drizzle with olive oil, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Toss gently to combine.
Serve family-style on a large platter.
- Almaz’s Ethiopian Doro Wat (Chicken Curry) inspired by Cutting for Stone
- Chicken Cutlet with Aged Jack Cheese Crust and Spinach Salad
- Mustard-Garlic Chicken Paillards with Spring Peas and Lemon
Add a Comment
This Girl's Reaction To 'Engagement Season' Is Pretty Much Perfect
Britney Spears On 'Chaotic': 'The Worst Thing I've Done In My Career'
Selena Gomez Curses, Storms Off Stage At Jingle Ball 2013
Obama Faces Backlash Over New Corporate Powers In Secret Trade Deal
Anne Hathaway In 'Sound Of Music Live'? Von Trapp Family Reveals Their Ideal Choice For Maria
- Ultimate Sandwich Smackdown: Po' Boys vs. Cheesesteaks FoxNews
- Jacques Pepin Loves Food More Than Stardom - FoxNews
- 13 Summer Drink, Dip and Dessert Recipes - Real Simple
- Get Your Pie On! 10 Recipes - YumSugar
Sites We Love
- This Incredibly Popular 'Food' Instagram Is Not What It Seems
- 18 Biggest Baking Mishaps and How To Avoid Them
- 5 Thanksgiving Disasters You Can Fix: Here's How
- 7 New Ways to Use Kitchen Equipment You Already Have