Challah Bread Pudding
Vanilla bean takes the center stage in this classic bread pudding. Any bread will do, but the egg flavor of challah is optimally paired with the vanilla custard. Serve with a simple vanilla sauce for maximum flavor and creamy decadence. It's a wonderful dish for parties and large gatherings since it can be made ahead and is served easily.
Gather these tools: cutting board, chef's knife, bread knife, wet and dry measuring cups, measuring spoons, large and medium mixing bowls, rubber spatula, 2-quart casserole, shallow roasting pan, whisk, wooden spoon
Preheat the oven to 350oF; place the rack in the center of the oven.
Place the bread pieces in a large bowl. Add the milk and cream, and stir well to soak all pieces. Set aside.
In a medium bowl, beat the eggs and sugar until thick and creamy, and lightened in color. Add the melted butter, vanilla seeds, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Pour this mixture over the milk-soaked bread. Gently fold in the optional raisins.
Meanwhile, prepare the vanilla sauce. In a small, heavy saucepan, heat cream, vanilla beans, and vanilla pod until it is almost boiling, with bubbles forming at edges. Discard the vanilla pod. Quickly whisk together egg yolks and sugar until thick, creamy, and lightened in color. Slowly pour 1/3 of hot cream into the egg/sugar mixture, whisking constantly. Gradually add the egg/sugar mixture to the saucepan with the remaining cream, whisking constantly. Continue to cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon. Remove from the heat immediately and strain if necessary. Set aside.
Remove the bread pudding from the roasting pan. Serve warm with warm sauce, or cold with chilled sauce.
- Open-Faced Grilled Eggplant, Red Onion, and Heirloom Tomato Sandwiches with Creamy Celeriac Sauce
- Mezzelune dolci (Half-Moon-Shape Sweet Pasta Filled with Candied Fruit)
- Capunti Pasta with Dried Sweet Italian Peppers (Capunti Con Cruschi)
If Only All Moms Could Breastfeed Like Gisele
Beyonce Shares Blue Ivy Photo, Still Manages To Keep Her From Prying Eyes
WestJet Finds Out What Passengers Want For Christmas, Leaves Presents At Baggage Claim (VIDEO)
11-Year-Old Boy Stops Traffic To Rescue Dog Hit By Car (PHOTOS)
Jennifer Smith Changed How She Thought About Food And Lost 165 Pounds
- Ultimate Sandwich Smackdown: Po' Boys vs. Cheesesteaks FoxNews
- Jacques Pepin Loves Food More Than Stardom - FoxNews
- 13 Summer Drink, Dip and Dessert Recipes - Real Simple
- Get Your Pie On! 10 Recipes - YumSugar
Sites We Love
- 5 Thanksgiving Disasters You Can Fix: Here's How
- 7 New Ways to Use Kitchen Equipment You Already Have