Chicken Pot Pie
Make filling: Cook onion, carrots, celery, parsnip, and thyme in butter with ¼ tsp each salt and pepper in 12-inch heavy skillet, covered, over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are almost tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Sprinkle with flour and cook, stirring constantly, 2 minutes. Stir in stock or broth, scraping up any brown bits, and bring to a boil, stirring, then simmer until slightly thickened, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in chicken and salt and pepper to taste. Keep warm, covered while making biscuit topping.
Make topping and bake pie: Preheat oven to 450°F with rack in middle. Butter a 13 x 9-inch baking or dish and spread filling into dish. Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and pepper into a bowl. Add parsley and toss to coat. Blend in butter with a pastry blender or your fingertips until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add buttermilk and stir just until a soft dough forms. Drop biscuit dough onto filling in 8 large mounds, leaving spaces between biscuits.
Bake until biscuits are puffed and golden brown and filling is bubbling, 35 to 40 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
- Almaz’s Ethiopian Doro Wat (Chicken Curry) inspired by Cutting for Stone
- Pastiera di maccheroni (Pasta Bake with Pancetta, Rosemary, and Ground Pork)
- Capunti Pasta with Dried Sweet Italian Peppers (Capunti Con Cruschi)
Add a Comment
5-Year-Old's Attempt To Forge Mommy's Signature Is Definitely Frame-Worthy
'MasterChef' Judge Graham Elliot Shows Off Impressive 150-Pound Weight Loss On Instagram
The Worst Product Flops Of All Time: 24/7 Wall Street
'Lick This' App Teaches Oral Sex Via Phone-Licking
Rashard Mendenhall: Why I Retired At 26
- Ultimate Sandwich Smackdown: Po' Boys vs. Cheesesteaks FoxNews
- Jacques Pepin Loves Food More Than Stardom - FoxNews
- 13 Summer Drink, Dip and Dessert Recipes - Real Simple
- Get Your Pie On! 10 Recipes - YumSugar
Sites We Love
- Healthy Weekly Dinner Meal Plan: A Whole Week of Healthy Spring Dinners
- 7-Day Early Spring Healthy Dinner Plan
- Nine Steps To Help You Declutter a Room
- Stylish Exaggeration: Jonathan Adler Reveals One Of His Muses