On a hot summer day, make this hearty salad using roasted chicken from the deli counter and whole-grain bulgur (it doesn't require cooking, just plumping in hot water). Round out the meal with tomato wedges and Toasted Pita Crisps.
1. Bring water to a boil in a large saucepan. Add bulgur and remove from the heat. Let stand until most of the water is absorbed, 20 to 30 minutes.
2. Drain bulgur well, squeezing out excess moisture. Transfer to a large bowl. Add chicken, parsley, scallions and currants.
3. Whisk orange juice concentrate, lemon juice, oil, cumin and cayenne in a small bowl until blended. Toss with the bulgur mixture. Season with salt and pepper and serve.
To poach chicken breasts: Place boneless, skinless chicken breasts in a medium skillet or saucepan and add lightly salted water to cover; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer gently until chicken is cooked through and no longer pink in the middle, 10 to 12 minutes.
Ingredient note: Bulgur is made by parboiling, drying and coarsely grinding or cracking wheat berries. Don?t confuse bulgur with cracked wheat, which is simply that?cracked wheat. Since the parboiling step is skipped, cracked wheat must be cooked for up to an hour whereas bulgur simply needs a quick soak in hot water for most uses. Look for it in the natural-foods section of large supermarkets, near other grains, or online at kalustyans.com, lebaneseproducts.com.
|Per Single Serving / Serves 6 Total|
|Calories from fat||45||Total Fat||5gm||8%|
|Saturated Fat||1gm||5%||Mono Unsaturated Fat||3gm|
Nutrition Facts provided by: EatingWell
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
** Nutrient information is not available.
Add a Comment
- Mummified Body Of Woman Found At Detroit-area Home
Kesha Drops Dollar Sign From Her Name After Leaving Rehab
'MasterChef' Judge Graham Elliot Shows Off Impressive 150-Pound Weight Loss On Instagram
Award-Winning Photo Tells Us More About The Syria Crisis Than Any Statistic Can
- 5-Year-Old's Attempt To Forge Mommy's Signature Is Definitely Frame-Worthy
- Ultimate Sandwich Smackdown: Po' Boys vs. Cheesesteaks FoxNews
- Jacques Pepin Loves Food More Than Stardom - FoxNews
- 13 Summer Drink, Dip and Dessert Recipes - Real Simple
- Get Your Pie On! 10 Recipes - YumSugar
Sites We Love
- Nine Steps To Help You Declutter a Room
- Stylish Exaggeration: Jonathan Adler Reveals One Of His Muses