Curtis' Mac and Cheese
Cook the bacon in a heavy large saucepan over medium-high heat until golden brown about 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon transfer the bacon to a plate lined with paper towels and reserve. Pour off all but 2 tablespoons of bacon drippings.
Add the shallots to the bacon drippings. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and sauté until translucent about 2 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute.
Reduce the heat to medium-low and stir in the flour. Cook the flour for 1 minute stirring constantly.
Reduce the heat to medium-low and gradually add the cheese stirring to blend.
Meanwhile bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Cook the pasta in the boiling salted water for 8 minutes stirring often to prevent it from sticking. Add the peas and continue boiling until the pasta is tender but still very firm to the bite and the peas are bright green and crisp-tender about 1 minute. Drain the pasta and peas.
Stir the bacon into the cheese sauce.
Stir the pasta and peas into the cheese sauce. The sauce will look loose but will continue to thicken once the pasta is added. If the sauce begins to thicken too much add more milk or cream to thin it to the desired consistency. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Butter 8 individual 6-inch-diameter casserole dishes or one 2 1/2-quart casserole dish. Transfer the pasta to the buttered casserole dishes.
Sprinkle the parsley over the pasta mixture then stir some of it into the pasta mixture.
Preheat the broiler. In a small mixing bowl toss the breadcrumbs with the melted butter to coat well. Season with salt and sprinkle the breadcrumbs evenly over the pasta.
Broil until the topping is golden brown watching closely about 2 minutes.
Let stand at room temperature for 5 minutes before serving.
- Pastiera di maccheroni (Pasta Bake with Pancetta, Rosemary, and Ground Pork)
- Mezzelune dolci (Half-Moon-Shape Sweet Pasta Filled with Candied Fruit)
- Rigatoni ai carciofi (Rigatoni with Artichokes, Garlic, and Orange Zest)
Add a Comment
These 9 Maps Should Absolutely Outrage Southerners
Lindsay Lohan's New Docu-Series Premieres On OWN On March 9
Why Burning Man's New Nonprofit Status Actually Matters
Mom Drives Van Filled With Children Into Ocean (VIDEO)
'Fashion Police' Mocks Pregnant Elsa Pataky's Oscars Look, Jokes About Her 'Beer Belly'
- Ultimate Sandwich Smackdown: Po' Boys vs. Cheesesteaks FoxNews
- Jacques Pepin Loves Food More Than Stardom - FoxNews
- 13 Summer Drink, Dip and Dessert Recipes - Real Simple
- Get Your Pie On! 10 Recipes - YumSugar
Sites We Love
- Nine Steps To Help You Declutter a Room
- Stylish Exaggeration: Jonathan Adler Reveals One Of His Muses