Vegetarians won't be the only ones devouring this casserole at the next pot luck supper. Filled with a creamy mixture of refried beans, corn and onion, these corn tortilla soak up the piquant ancho-tomato sauce. Look for the queso fresco (Mexican fresh cheese) and crema in the refrigerated section of the supermarket.
Cooks' note: If you have an electric stove, soften tortillas in a heated dry skillet, preferably cast-iron in same manner.
Preheat oven to 400°F with rack in middle.
Make sauce: Soak anchos in 2 cups boiling hot water, covered, until softened, about 20 minutes. Transfer with 1 cup soaking liquid to a blender with onion, garlic, jalapeño and 1/2 tsp salt in oil and blended until smooth. Heat oil with cumin seed in a 4 to 5-quart heavy pot over medium heat until fragrant, then carefully add ancho mixture and tomatoes (they will spatter) and cook stirring occasionally, 20 minutes.
Prepare enchiladas: Cook onion and corn with oregano in oil with 1/2 tsp each salt and pepper in a 12-inch heavy skillet over medium heat, stirring often, until onions are softened, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in beans and 1 cup queso fresco.
Toast tortillas, 1 at a time over a medium-high flame (see note), turning with tongs, until slightly puffed and spotted, 10 to 15 seconds per side, transferring as browned to a plate and covered with foil.
Using about 1/4 cup bean mixture, fill each tortilla, folding in sides and rolling up to enclose filling. Spread 1 1/2 cups sauce on bottom of a 13 x 9-inch baking dish and put tortillas, seam-side down in a single layer. Top with remaining sauce and covered dish with foil. Bake until casserole is bubbling, 20 to 25 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Almaz’s Ethiopian Doro Wat (Chicken Curry) inspired by Cutting for Stone
- Mezzelune dolci (Half-Moon-Shape Sweet Pasta Filled with Candied Fruit)
- Capunti Pasta with Dried Sweet Italian Peppers (Capunti Con Cruschi)
Add a Comment
The Worst Product Flops Of All Time: 24/7 Wall Street
Miley Cyrus Performs In Underwear After Missing Costume Change
Joran van der Sloot Extradition: Will Face Extortion Charges In U.S. In 2038
Adam Lanza's Father: 'Evil' Sandy Hook Shooter Would Have Killed Me 'In A Heartbeat'
'MasterChef' Judge Graham Elliot Shows Off Impressive 150-Pound Weight Loss On Instagram
- Ultimate Sandwich Smackdown: Po' Boys vs. Cheesesteaks FoxNews
- Jacques Pepin Loves Food More Than Stardom - FoxNews
- 13 Summer Drink, Dip and Dessert Recipes - Real Simple
- Get Your Pie On! 10 Recipes - YumSugar
Sites We Love
- Nine Steps To Help You Declutter a Room
- Stylish Exaggeration: Jonathan Adler Reveals One Of His Muses