"Homemade" Potato Chips
Provided By: Ann Hodgman
Most of us are less likely to make potato chips from scratch than we are to make our own shoes. Fortunately, there are ways to doctor up store-bought chips that will turn them so respectable that you can serve them as a side dish without shame. Think of a steak served with oven-heated, sea-salted chips, or a bowl of curry-flavored chips alongside Indian food
This treatment will work with any kind of herb and spice you choose to add to the oil; just be sure to salt the chips as needed and to serve them hot. Other good suggestions: lemon pepper seasoning, chili powder, wasabi powder, or chopped fresh herbs. If you use the fresh herbs, sprinkle a few more on the baked chips just before serving. Then tell people that of course you made them by hand.
Preheat the oven to 325F. In a small bowl, mix together all ingredients (except chips) until smooth.
Spread chips on a baking sheet in a single layer and bake until they're piping-hot, about 8 minutes (don't turn the oven off when you take them out).
Transfer the hot chips to a large bowl and drizzle them with the flavored oil. Then, using your hands and working very gently, toss the chips with the oil until they're coated. Of course a few of them will break, but do your best.
Spread the coated chips back on the baking sheet and bake for 2 or 3 more minutes. When they're heated through, toss them again, add sea salt to taste and serve immediately.
|Per Single Serving / Serves 4 Total|
|Calories||240||Calories from fat||153|
|Total Fat||17gm||26%||Saturated Fat||5gm||25%|
Nutrition Facts provided by: Ann Hodgman
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
** Nutrient information is not available.
- Pasta with Green Beans, Potatoes and Basil Pesto (Pasta Alla Ligure)
- Twice-Baked Sweet Potatoes with a Bacon-Parmesan Crust
- Roasted Cod and Potatoes with Orange Butter Gremolata
Add a Comment
- Ultimate Sandwich Smackdown: Po' Boys vs. Cheesesteaks FoxNews
- Jacques Pepin Loves Food More Than Stardom - FoxNews
- 13 Summer Drink, Dip and Dessert Recipes - Real Simple
- Get Your Pie On! 10 Recipes - YumSugar
Sites We Love
- Nine Steps To Help You Declutter a Room
- Stylish Exaggeration: Jonathan Adler Reveals One Of His Muses