Provided By: Kate Slate
By Kate Slate
What could be better than making your own healthy version of a toaster waffle? These are made with a little whole wheat flour and oats for fiber, and olive oil for monounsaturated fats. This recipe makes about 12 waffles, but if you want to make more (since a big family will go through 12 waffles in no time), just make multiple batches. But don't just double or triple the ingredients into one batch, because by the time you cook all those waffles the batter will deflate. However, if you do plan on making multiple batches, you can toast all the oats you need at one time.
In a small skillet, cook the oats over medium-high heat, shaking the pan often, until lightly toasted, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl to cool.
Add the all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt to the bowl and stir to blend well.
Make a well in the center of the flour mixture. Add the eggs and whisk gently in place with a fork. Add the buttermilk, oil, and honey, and stir just until the dry ingredients are completely moistened.
Preheat a waffle iron and ladle batter into the center. (The amount will vary with the waffle iron, but for a 4-square iron it's a generous 1 cup of batter.) Close the iron and cook according to the manufacturer's instructions.
As the waffles cook, transfer them to wire racks to cool. When all of the waffles have been cooked and cooled, break them into individual squares and arrange on a baking sheet. Place in the freezer and freeze solid. Then store in zip-seal storage bags in the freezer.
Note: The nutrition information for this recipe is for one waffle.
|Per Single Serving / Serves 12 Total|
|Calories||130||Calories from fat||45|
|Total Fat||5gm||8%||Saturated Fat||1gm||5%|
|Vitamin A||1%||Vitamin C||1%|
Nutrition Facts provided by: Kate Slate
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
** Nutrient information is not available.
Add a Comment
- Jennifer Smith Changed How She Thought About Food And Lost 165 Pounds
WestJet Finds Out What Passengers Want For Christmas, Leaves Presents At Baggage Claim (VIDEO)
- Hero Teen Aubrey Peters Remembered At Candlelight Vigil
U.S. Soccer Star Alex Morgan Engaged To MLS's Servando Carrasco (PHOTOS)
Kelly Clarkson Responds To Cheating Rumors With Twitter Blast
- Ultimate Sandwich Smackdown: Po' Boys vs. Cheesesteaks FoxNews
- Jacques Pepin Loves Food More Than Stardom - FoxNews
- 13 Summer Drink, Dip and Dessert Recipes - Real Simple
- Get Your Pie On! 10 Recipes - YumSugar
Sites We Love
- 5 Thanksgiving Disasters You Can Fix: Here's How
- 7 New Ways to Use Kitchen Equipment You Already Have