Indian Split Pea Soup with Tofu and Cilantro
What we call split pea soup the East Indians would call a dal and, when spooned over rice the way the East Indians do, it makes a very satisfying meal. Here frozen peas add welcome color and cubes of tofu stand in for paneer, a firm fresh cheese often added to dal. What really gives this soup some zing is the spiced oil that gets stirred in at the last minute for a giant burst of flavor.
Combine rice, water, and salt in a heavy medium saucepan. Bring to a full boil, covered, then reduce heat to low and cook, covered, until water is absorbed and rice is tender, 18 to 20 minutes. Quickly fluff with a fork, then remove from heat and keep covered.
While rice cooks, Combine soup, water, and peas and simmer, stirring occasionally, until peas are tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Add tofu and simmer 1 minute.
Combine oil, mustard and cumin seeds, and pepper flakes in a small skillet and heat over moderate heat, stirring occasionally until mustard seeds begin to pop. Cover skillet with a lid and cook until popping subsides. Pour oil and spices into soup, then stir in cilantro.
Serve soup spooned over rice in bowls.
- Open-Faced Grilled Eggplant, Red Onion, and Heirloom Tomato Sandwiches with Creamy Celeriac Sauce
- Almaz’s Ethiopian Doro Wat (Chicken Curry) inspired by Cutting for Stone
- Pasta with Green Beans, Potatoes and Basil Pesto (Pasta Alla Ligure)
Add a Comment
The Worst Product Flops Of All Time: 24/7 Wall Street
Miley Cyrus Performs In Underwear After Missing Costume Change
'MasterChef' Judge Graham Elliot Shows Off Impressive 150-Pound Weight Loss On Instagram
Joran van der Sloot Extradition: Will Face Extortion Charges In U.S. In 2038
Adam Lanza's Father: 'Evil' Sandy Hook Shooter Would Have Killed Me 'In A Heartbeat'
- Ultimate Sandwich Smackdown: Po' Boys vs. Cheesesteaks FoxNews
- Jacques Pepin Loves Food More Than Stardom - FoxNews
- 13 Summer Drink, Dip and Dessert Recipes - Real Simple
- Get Your Pie On! 10 Recipes - YumSugar
Sites We Love
- Healthy Weekly Dinner Meal Plan: A Whole Week of Healthy Spring Dinners
- 7-Day Early Spring Healthy Dinner Plan
- Nine Steps To Help You Declutter a Room
- Stylish Exaggeration: Jonathan Adler Reveals One Of His Muses