Leek & Bacon Pie
Provided By: Kate Slate
By Kate Slate
The word pie should be in quotation marks because this doesn't have a pastry crust. Instead, a batter made of eggs, milk, and a little bit of baking mix separates as it bakes into a savory custard layer and a crunchy top. Serve this as a brunch dish with a big side salad.
Ingredient #6: Although this is a "Just 5 Ingredients" recipe, if you went for one more ingredient, it could be a dried herb, like tarragon, or some grated Parmesan in the batter.
Preheat the oven to 325°F. Lightly grease a 9-inch glass pie plate.
Trim off the root ends and dark green leaves from the leeks, leaving the white and tender green. Halve the leeks lengthwise (or quarter if using large), then cut crosswise into 1/2-inch slices. Wash the leeks in a large bowl of warm water. Carefully scoop out the leek pieces (which will float), leaving the sand and grit in the bottom of the bowl.
In a large skillet, cook the bacon until crisp. With a slotted spoon, transfer the bacon to paper towels to drain. Pour out all but a light film of bacon grease.
Heat the skillet over medium-high heat and add the leeks. Sprinkle with the salt and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 5 minutes. Scrape into the pie plate. Sprinkle on the bacon and set aside.
Meanwhile, in a bowl, combine the baking mix and pepper. Stir in 1/2 cup of the milk, then the remaining milk and the eggs. Stir just to moisten. Pour the batter over the leeks and bacon and bake for 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let sit for 10 minutes before slicing. Serve warm or at room temperature.
|Per Single Serving / Serves 6 Total|
|Calories||194||Calories from fat||81|
|Total Fat||9gm||14%||Saturated Fat||3gm||15%|
|Vitamin A||19%||Vitamin C||9%|
Nutrition Facts provided by: Kate Slate
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
** Nutrient information is not available.
- Pastiera di maccheroni (Pasta Bake with Pancetta, Rosemary, and Ground Pork)
- Braised Pork Shoulder with Tomatoes, Cinnamon, and Olives Over Polenta
- Grilled Peppers, Eggplant & Zucchini with Lemon-Harissa Dressing
Add a Comment
- Jennifer Smith Changed How She Thought About Food And Lost 165 Pounds
WestJet Finds Out What Passengers Want For Christmas, Leaves Presents At Baggage Claim (VIDEO)
- Hero Teen Aubrey Peters Remembered At Candlelight Vigil
U.S. Soccer Star Alex Morgan Engaged To MLS's Servando Carrasco (PHOTOS)
Kelly Clarkson Responds To Cheating Rumors With Twitter Blast
- Ultimate Sandwich Smackdown: Po' Boys vs. Cheesesteaks FoxNews
- Jacques Pepin Loves Food More Than Stardom - FoxNews
- 13 Summer Drink, Dip and Dessert Recipes - Real Simple
- Get Your Pie On! 10 Recipes - YumSugar