Lemon-Garlic Roast Chicken
Just between us chickens, if the roasted bird is not making a public appearance before it is carved, you can leave the legs untied, but tying the legs takes only seconds.
Heat oven to 375°F. Have ready a 4-qt casserole or Dutch oven, preferably oval, and 100% pure cotton string (such as butcher’s twine).
Rub body cavity of chicken with 1⁄8 tsp each salt and pepper. Then put into the cavity the juice of 1 lemon, the 2 squeezed lemon halves, 6 cloves of garlic and half the thyme. Tie legs together with the string. Tuck the wing tips under the backbone.
Place chicken in casserole and brush the skin with the olive oil. Squeeze the juice from the 2 remaining lemons over the top of the chicken and sprinkle with 1⁄8 tsp salt and 1⁄8 tsp pepper. Scatter remaining garlic and thyme around bird.
Cover and roast 1 hour in the upper third of the oven. Increase oven temperature to 450°F. Uncover casserole, add 3⁄4 cup water and bake 30 to 45 minutes longer until a thermometer inserted in thickest part of thigh, not touching bone, registers 165°F. Transfer to a board or platter; cover loosely with foil to keep warm (internal temperature will continue to rise).
Pour contents of casserole through a strainer into a small saucepan, pressing on solids with back of a spoon. Discard solids left in strainer. Let juices in saucepan settle, skim fat off surface, then season juices with 1⁄4 tsp salt. Heat through. Carve chicken; serve with pan juices.
|Per Single Serving / Serves 6 Total|
|Calories||583||Calories from fat||315|
|Total Fat||35gm||54%||Saturated Fat||9gm||45%|
Nutrition Facts provided by: Woman's Day
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
** Nutrient information is not available.
Add a Comment
- Miley Cyrus Uses A Teleprompter Onstage During Her Concerts
8 Couples Who Don't Take The Whole Wedding Thing Too Seriously
'Fashion Police' Mocks Pregnant Elsa Pataky's Oscars Look, Jokes About Her 'Beer Belly'
These 9 Maps Should Absolutely Outrage Southerners
- Woman Who Was Abandoned In Burger King As A Baby Searches For Birth Mom On Facebook
- Ultimate Sandwich Smackdown: Po' Boys vs. Cheesesteaks FoxNews
- Jacques Pepin Loves Food More Than Stardom - FoxNews
- 13 Summer Drink, Dip and Dessert Recipes - Real Simple
- Get Your Pie On! 10 Recipes - YumSugar
Sites We Love
- Nine Steps To Help You Declutter a Room
- Stylish Exaggeration: Jonathan Adler Reveals One Of His Muses