Mocha Baked Alaska Pie
Provided By: Kemp Minifie
This gorgeous frozen pie is perfect for a stay-at-home celebration, since it looks impressive but is actually extremely easy to put together -- the bulk of the time involved is free time for you while it hardens in the freezer.
Preheat oven to 350F.
Finely grind cookies in a food processor. Add almonds and process until almonds are finely chopped. Transfer to a bowl and stir in sugar, salt, and butter until well combined. Press mixture evenly onto bottom and sides of pie plate. Bake in middle of oven 10 minutes. Transfer to a rack to cool, then freeze.
Soften 1 pint of coffee ice cream (put in refrigerator for 30 to 60 minutes or microwave at 50 percent power for 30 to 60 seconds) and spread it evenly in pie shell. Freeze until firm, 30 to 60 minutes. Repeat with chocolate ice cream and end with remaining pint of coffee ice cream, freezing between layers. Mound the last coffee layer evenly in the middle and smooth it with an offset metal spatula or a rubber spatula. Freeze ice cream pie until very firm, at least 2 hours.
Add powdered egg whites to warm water in a deep large bowl and stir gently to allow them to dissolve, 2 to 3 minutes. Add salt, then beat whites with an electric mixer fitted with the whip attachment at high speed until they hold soft peaks, then add sugar, a little at a time, beating, and continue to beat until meringue holds stiff glossy peaks. Beat in vanilla and cinnamon.
Spread about one-fourth of meringue in an even coat over ice cream, spreading it to cover the crust, and put in freezer. Transfer remaining meringue to a gallon-size sturdy sealable plastic bag and press out excess air. Cut off one corner to make a 1/2-inch hole and decoratively cover pie with remaining meringue. Freeze pie at least 2 hours.
Preheat oven to 500F. (Allow at least 15 to 20 minutes for this.)
Bake frozen pie in middle of oven until meringue is golden, 3 to 4 minutes. Immediately return pie to freezer and freeze until ice cream is firm, at least 2 hours.
- Open-Faced Grilled Eggplant, Red Onion, and Heirloom Tomato Sandwiches with Creamy Celeriac Sauce
- Crunchy Chocolate Almond Bites And Chocolate-Dipped Sweet Potato Chips
- Mezzelune dolci (Half-Moon-Shape Sweet Pasta Filled with Candied Fruit)
Add a Comment
The Worst Product Flops Of All Time: 24/7 Wall Street
Miley Cyrus Performs In Underwear After Missing Costume Change
Joran van der Sloot Extradition: Will Face Extortion Charges In U.S. In 2038
'MasterChef' Judge Graham Elliot Shows Off Impressive 150-Pound Weight Loss On Instagram
Adam Lanza's Father: 'Evil' Sandy Hook Shooter Would Have Killed Me 'In A Heartbeat'
- Ultimate Sandwich Smackdown: Po' Boys vs. Cheesesteaks FoxNews
- Jacques Pepin Loves Food More Than Stardom - FoxNews
- 13 Summer Drink, Dip and Dessert Recipes - Real Simple
- Get Your Pie On! 10 Recipes - YumSugar
Sites We Love
- Healthy Weekly Dinner Meal Plan: A Whole Week of Healthy Spring Dinners
- 7-Day Early Spring Healthy Dinner Plan
- Nine Steps To Help You Declutter a Room
- Stylish Exaggeration: Jonathan Adler Reveals One Of His Muses