Roasted Delicata Squash with Quinoa Salad
Quinoa is definitely a superfood: A grain-like seed, it's a "complete" protein containing all eight essential amino acids (another plus: it cooks much more quickly than most grains). To create a terrific vegetarian main course, Michael Symon of Cleveland's Lola tosses quinoa with arugula, apple, raisins and fresh herbs, then spoons the salad into a halved baked squash (a great source of iron and vitamins A and C). Restaurant Coverage from F&W Editors
1. Preheat the oven to 350°. Brush the cut sides of the squash with 1 teaspoon of the olive oil and season the cavities with salt and pepper. Place the squash cut side down on a baking sheet and roast for about 45 minutes, until tender.
2. Meanwhile, in a saucepan, bring 2 cups of lightly salted water to a boil. Add the quinoa, cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in the raisins and simmer, covered, until the water is absorbed, about 5 minutes. Transfer the quinoa to a large bowl and let cool.
3. In a small bowl, whisk the vinegar and honey with the remaining 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Add the dressing to the quinoa along with the apple, shallot, garlic, mint and parsley and toss well. Add the arugula and toss gently.
4. Set the squash halves on plates. Fill with the salad and serve.
Make ahead tip: The quinoa can be refrigerated overnight. Bring to room temperature and add the arugula just before serving.
- Paul's Baked Squash Dinner with a Salad of Radicchio, Walnuts, and Parmesan
- Grilled Peppers, Eggplant & Zucchini with Lemon-Harissa Dressing
- Coffin Canapes with Red Pepper, Goat Cheese, and Black-Olive Spread
Add a Comment
Charlie Sheen's Real Name Makes A Comeback: Actor Credited As Carlos Estevez In New Film (VIDEO)
Obama Forgets To Salute Marine, Awkwardly Makes It Up To Him
Stripper Photos: Bronwen Park-Rhodes Celebrates Exhibitionism In Raw Photography Series (PHOTOS)
This Week's Worst-Dressed List Features Madonna In A Leotard, Naturally (PHOTOS)
Mariah Carey On 'GMA': 'Oh Sh-t' And A Wardrobe Malfunction
- Ultimate Sandwich Smackdown: Po' Boys vs. Cheesesteaks FoxNews
- Jacques Pepin Loves Food More Than Stardom - FoxNews
- 13 Summer Drink, Dip and Dessert Recipes - Real Simple
- Get Your Pie On! 10 Recipes - YumSugar
Sites We Love
- Staff Picks: Our Favorite Spring Produce
- Los Angeles: Eat the Huaraches and Gorditas at Antojitos Carmen