Stir-Fried Baby Bok Choy with Red Peppers, Tofu and Black Beans
Provided By: Michelle Huneven
This is a basic stir fry recipe with a lot of neat little techniques imbedded in it. Fermented black beans, for example add a near-meatiness to the dish; they're inexpensive and available in most Chinese markets in small cellophane bags that last a long time. The small amount of sugar in the recipe--sugar used, really, as sparingly as salt--really ignites the flavors. Marinating the tofu also adds a boost. As ever, for those wanting an undercurrent of heat in this dish, a small squirt of rooster sauce does the trick.
Soak black beans in wine or water to cover.
In large bowl, make a marinade of 1 teaspoon sugar, 1 tablespoon soy sauce, 1 clove of minced garlic, ½ teaspoon salt, splash of white wine (optional) and 1 teaspoon sesame oil. After mixing, add tofu and stir to coat.
Roughly chop bok choy into 1” lengths so that stems and leaves are naturally separate.
Preheat large sauté pan or skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon peanut oil and raise heat to high. When oil begins to smoke, add remaining minced and ginger, stir quickly, then add bok choy stems. Cook, stirring, until stems softens, around 2 minutes, then add leaves. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute, then add tofu. Stir gently, then add stock or white wine and let it boil for a minute.
Add black beans and their liquid, scallions, and remaining sugar and soy sauce. Stir carefully and cook another minute. Drizzle with remaining sesame oil and serve--with rice, if desired.
- Open-Faced Grilled Eggplant, Red Onion, and Heirloom Tomato Sandwiches with Creamy Celeriac Sauce
- Pasta with Green Beans, Potatoes and Basil Pesto (Pasta Alla Ligure)
- Grilled Peppers, Eggplant & Zucchini with Lemon-Harissa Dressing
Add a Comment
Kirstie Alley Explains Why John Travolta Was Her 'Greatest Love'
Celebrity Swans: Awkward Adolescents Turned Smokin' Hot Stars
Miley Cyrus' Jingle Ball Performance Of '#Getitright' Features Santa Twerking And Plenty Of Glitter
Grammy 2014 Snubs: Miley Cyrus Shut Out, Kanye West Comes Up Short, Lorde Lacks Best New Artist
Chicago Bulls Cheerleader Surprised With Marriage Proposal During Bulls-Heat Game (VIDEO, PHOTOS)
- Ultimate Sandwich Smackdown: Po' Boys vs. Cheesesteaks FoxNews
- Jacques Pepin Loves Food More Than Stardom - FoxNews
- 13 Summer Drink, Dip and Dessert Recipes - Real Simple
- Get Your Pie On! 10 Recipes - YumSugar
Sites We Love
- 5 Thanksgiving Disasters You Can Fix: Here's How
- 7 New Ways to Use Kitchen Equipment You Already Have