Sweet Potato Pudding Cake
This cake was inspired by the one of the most popular Jamaican desserts, sweet potato pudding. Traditionally, raw shredded sweet potatoes are used, but we found that sweet potatoes sold in the U.S. don’t provide the same texture as those in Jamaica. Instead, we mix mashed sweet potato with eggs and flour to get a slightly different, but equally delicious, cheesecake-like result.
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9-inch springform pan with cooking spray.
2. To prepare cake: Toss raisins and rum in a small bowl and let stand. Whisk flour, nutmeg and salt in another bowl.
3. Mash sweet potato in a large bowl (you should have about 1 3/4 cups). Add eggs; beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until combined. Add coconut milk, 1 cup brown sugar and butter; beat until combined. Stir in the dry ingredients until evenly moistened. Stir in the raisins and any remaining rum. Spread the batter in the prepared pan.
4. To prepare topping: Combine coconut, 2 tablespoons brown sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl. Sprinkle on top of the cake.
5. Bake the cake until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean, 1 to 1 1/4 hours. Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Run a knife around the edge of the pan and gently remove the side ring. Let cool at room temperature for 1 hour, then refrigerate until cold, about 3 hours.
Ingredient note: Whole-wheat pastry flour, lower in protein than regular whole-wheat flour, has less gluten-forming potential, making it a better choice for tender baked goods. You can find it in the natural-foods section of large supermarkets and natural-foods stores. Store in the freezer.
Tip: To cook whole sweet potatoes, pierce the skin in several places with a fork. Bake on a baking sheet at 400°F for 45 minutes to 1 hour or microwave on High for 12 to 15 minutes.
To Make Ahead: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. | Equipment: 9-inch springform pan
|Per Single Serving / Serves 12 Total|
|Calories||274||Calories from fat||72|
Nutrition Facts provided by: EatingWell
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
** Nutrient information is not available.
Add a Comment
5-Year-Old's Attempt To Forge Mommy's Signature Is Definitely Frame-Worthy
'MasterChef' Judge Graham Elliot Shows Off Impressive 150-Pound Weight Loss On Instagram
The Worst Product Flops Of All Time: 24/7 Wall Street
Kesha Drops Dollar Sign From Her Name After Leaving Rehab
Ann Coulter At CPAC: Democrats Want Immigration Reform For 'Warm Bodies, More Votes'
- Ultimate Sandwich Smackdown: Po' Boys vs. Cheesesteaks FoxNews
- Jacques Pepin Loves Food More Than Stardom - FoxNews
- 13 Summer Drink, Dip and Dessert Recipes - Real Simple
- Get Your Pie On! 10 Recipes - YumSugar
Sites We Love
- Nine Steps To Help You Declutter a Room
- Stylish Exaggeration: Jonathan Adler Reveals One Of His Muses