Provided By: Michelle Huneven
Posole is typically made with pork and chicken, here is a hearty, satisfying alternative, full of vegetables, soft beans and chewy hominy. The secret is a good, flavorful broth, which gets its distinctive taste from lime juice, salsa verde (you can buy small cans of this green salsa in the Mexican food section of any supermarket), and a tied bundle of cilantro stems (use cooking twine or, in a pinch, unflavored unwaxed dental floss). Taste the broth as you go along. At first, it will seem acidic from the salsa and lime, but once the corn, hominy and beans are added, the flavor with smooth out. Little pieces of corn-on-the-cob in each bowl give this soup a festive look, and the cob adds its own unique taste. Use a big knife, a lot of leverage, and caution to cut up the cobs. The finished soup is enhanced by a variety of garnishes: crumbled cheese, cilantro leaves, fresh crunchy cabbage and, best of all, pumpkin seeds that are roasted, then finished with salt and lime.
In a soup pot, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add chopped onions, oregano, and pasilla chile and stir until onions and chile are soft and beginning to brown. Add one heaping teaspoon of ground cumin and stir, cooking for a few moments.
Add vegetable stock to onion mixture, then lime juice, green salsa, and cilantro stems. Bring just to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, covered, while you cut vegetables, about ten minutes. Taste and add more cumin, if desired.
Add hominy, corn on the cob pieces, zucchini and potato to pot and simmer. When potatoes are almost soft, add pinto beans.
Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper and cumin. To add smokiness without much heat, add sweet smoked Spanish pimenton. For smokiness with more heat, add a dash--not to much--of dried chipotle chile and/or rooster sauce.
Prepare garnishes: small communal bowls of crumbled cotija or feta cheese, roasted pumpkin seeds (see recipe below), shredded cabbage, and cilantro leaves.
Serve soup in large bowls.
- Grilled Peppers, Eggplant & Zucchini with Lemon-Harissa Dressing
- Coffin Canapes with Red Pepper, Goat Cheese, and Black-Olive Spread
- Pearled Barley Salad with Apples, Pomegranate Seeds and Pine Nuts
Add a Comment
'MasterChef' Judge Graham Elliot Shows Off Impressive 150-Pound Weight Loss On Instagram
Kesha Drops Dollar Sign From Her Name After Leaving Rehab
- Mummified Body Of Woman Found At Detroit-area Home
- 5-Year-Old's Attempt To Forge Mommy's Signature Is Definitely Frame-Worthy
Award-Winning Photo Tells Us More About The Syria Crisis Than Any Statistic Can
- Ultimate Sandwich Smackdown: Po' Boys vs. Cheesesteaks FoxNews
- Jacques Pepin Loves Food More Than Stardom - FoxNews
- 13 Summer Drink, Dip and Dessert Recipes - Real Simple
- Get Your Pie On! 10 Recipes - YumSugar
Sites We Love
- Nine Steps To Help You Declutter a Room
- Stylish Exaggeration: Jonathan Adler Reveals One Of His Muses