Vietnamese Slaw with Fried Shallots
In KitchenDaily's Pantry Project video series, Gail Simmons demonstrates how you can make the most out of ingredients in your pantry. This simple salad recipe, inspired by Gail's travels throughout Vietnam, incorporates the pungent and complex fish sauce, a SouthEast Asian condiment. Watch the related video to see Gail prepare the Vietnamese Slaw with Fried Shallots.
Begin by making the dressing so the onions have time to marinate. In a large mixing bowl combine everything except the onion and whisk together. Place onions in the dressing and set aside.
Heat peanut oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Peel shallots and slice into thin crescents. Place flour into a medium bowl and season with salt and pepper. Toss shallots in the flour to coat everything evenly. Test heat of oil by sprinkling a little flour in it if it sizzles and floats immediately the oil is ready. Fry shallots in batches for 2-3 minutes until golden and crispy. Drain on a paper towel and season with salt immediately.
3. Prepare the slaw ingredients - you should use a mandolin or a food processor with the slicer and grater attachments. Finely slice the cabbages and radish. Grate the carrot and separate the cilantro leaves. Cut off three sides of the apples and discard the cores. Finely slice the sides to yield thin half-moons. Place everything into a mixing bowl with the dressing and sliced onion and toss together well.
Serve mounds of slaw topped with a sprinkle of roughly chopped peanuts and crispy fried shallots. Ganish with extra cilantro leaves.
Add a Comment
5-Year-Old's Attempt To Forge Mommy's Signature Is Definitely Frame-Worthy
'MasterChef' Judge Graham Elliot Shows Off Impressive 150-Pound Weight Loss On Instagram
The Worst Product Flops Of All Time: 24/7 Wall Street
'Lick This' App Teaches Oral Sex Via Phone-Licking
Robert Gates On Crimea: 'I Do Not Believe That Crimea Will Slip Out Of Russia's Hand'
- Ultimate Sandwich Smackdown: Po' Boys vs. Cheesesteaks FoxNews
- Jacques Pepin Loves Food More Than Stardom - FoxNews
- 13 Summer Drink, Dip and Dessert Recipes - Real Simple
- Get Your Pie On! 10 Recipes - YumSugar
Sites We Love
- Nine Steps To Help You Declutter a Room
- Stylish Exaggeration: Jonathan Adler Reveals One Of His Muses