Vietnamese Slaw with Fried Shallots
In KitchenDaily's Pantry Project video series, Gail Simmons demonstrates how you can make the most out of ingredients in your pantry. This simple salad recipe, inspired by Gail's travels throughout Vietnam, incorporates the pungent and complex fish sauce, a SouthEast Asian condiment. Watch the related video to see Gail prepare the Vietnamese Slaw with Fried Shallots.
Begin by making the dressing so the onions have time to marinate. In a large mixing bowl combine everything except the onion and whisk together. Place onions in the dressing and set aside.
Heat peanut oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Peel shallots and slice into thin crescents. Place flour into a medium bowl and season with salt and pepper. Toss shallots in the flour to coat everything evenly. Test heat of oil by sprinkling a little flour in it if it sizzles and floats immediately the oil is ready. Fry shallots in batches for 2-3 minutes until golden and crispy. Drain on a paper towel and season with salt immediately.
3. Prepare the slaw ingredients - you should use a mandolin or a food processor with the slicer and grater attachments. Finely slice the cabbages and radish. Grate the carrot and separate the cilantro leaves. Cut off three sides of the apples and discard the cores. Finely slice the sides to yield thin half-moons. Place everything into a mixing bowl with the dressing and sliced onion and toss together well.
Serve mounds of slaw topped with a sprinkle of roughly chopped peanuts and crispy fried shallots. Ganish with extra cilantro leaves.
Add a Comment
Pamela Anderson Is Now A Brunette (No, We're Not Kidding)
Jada Pinkett Smith Rocked A Bikini This Thanksgiving While You Were Stuffing Your Face
Beyonce Posts Bikini Photos From Her Recent Jamaican Holiday
Marijuana In Wendy's Burger Was 'Misplaced' By Employee Amy Seiber: Cops (PHOTO)
This Photo Of Blue Ivy Carter Will Make You Smile
- Ultimate Sandwich Smackdown: Po' Boys vs. Cheesesteaks FoxNews
- Jacques Pepin Loves Food More Than Stardom - FoxNews
- 13 Summer Drink, Dip and Dessert Recipes - Real Simple
- Get Your Pie On! 10 Recipes - YumSugar
Sites We Love
- 5 Thanksgiving Disasters You Can Fix: Here's How
- 7 New Ways to Use Kitchen Equipment You Already Have