Warm Chicken Salad with Pine Nuts
Poaching chicken breasts in a mixture of balsamic vinegar and chicken broth makes them unusually tender. The poaching liquid then becomes the base for a slightly sweet, intensely flavored dressing. Any leftover poaching liquid can be stored in the freezer to use later in sauce or dressing.
1. Combine broth, vinegar, garlic, fresh rosemary sprigs (or 1 teaspoon dried) and bay leaf in a wide saucepan or Dutch oven. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes. Add chicken breasts, cover and poach gently just until the flesh is no longer pink inside, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board and keep warm.
2. Boil the poaching liquid until slightly reduced, about 5 minutes. Strain, discard garlic, rosemary and bay leaf and pour 1/2 cup poaching liquid into a small bowl. Whisk in oil, shallots and pepper. Season with salt if desired.
3. Toss greens in a large bowl with 1/4 cup of the dressing. Arrange on individual plates. Carve chicken into thin slices and arrange over greens. Garnish with red pepper and drizzle the remaining dressing over chicken and peppers. Sprinkle pine nuts, parsley and remaining 1 teaspoon fresh (or 1/2 teaspoon dried) rosemary over the chicken
Tip: To oven-roast peppers:
1. Preheat oven to 450°F. Place a wire rack on a large baking sheet. Arrange whole bell peppers on the rack.
2. Roast peppers in the center of the oven, turning occasionally with tongs, until blackened in places, 30 to 40 minutes.
3. Transfer the peppers to a large bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let steam for 10 minutes. Uncover and let cool.
4. With a paring knife, remove stems, skins and seeds. If serving as antipasto, combine accumulated juices with peppers.
|Per Single Serving / Serves 4 Total|
|Calories from fat||108||Total Fat||12gm||18%|
|Saturated Fat||2gm||10%||Mono Unsaturated Fat||7gm|
Nutrition Facts provided by: EatingWell
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
** Nutrient information is not available.
Add a Comment
- Ultimate Sandwich Smackdown: Po' Boys vs. Cheesesteaks FoxNews
- Jacques Pepin Loves Food More Than Stardom - FoxNews
- 13 Summer Drink, Dip and Dessert Recipes - Real Simple
- Get Your Pie On! 10 Recipes - YumSugar
Sites We Love
- Healthy Weekly Dinner Meal Plan: A Whole Week of Healthy Spring Dinners
- 7-Day Early Spring Healthy Dinner Plan
- Nine Steps To Help You Declutter a Room
- Stylish Exaggeration: Jonathan Adler Reveals One Of His Muses